About the University
The History of the University
The idea of starting a Catholic university in Croatia exists as long as the independent Croatian state. The Republic of Croatia became independent after the collapse of Yugoslavia in 1991 which instantly, within cultural, ecclesiastic and intellectual circles in Croatia, led to the thought of initiating a Catholic university. But the war for Croatia’s independence, post-war reconstruction and difficult post-war economic and social condition postponed that idea until the middle of the new millennium’s first decade.
The Catholic University of Croatia is one of the youngest Croatian universities which was established by the Decree on the Establishment of Catholic University of Croatia No. 1273/2006. (further in the text: Decree on the Establishment) of Cardinal Josip Bozanić, archbishop and metropolitan of Zagreb on June 3, 2006. Since The Catholic University of Croatia is a young university, its’ development and main events will be divided in two stages: establishment (2004 – 2010) and the beginning of the activities of the University (2010 until today) indicated in the following sequence of crucial events:
- On the XXIX. Plenary Session of the Croatian Conference of Bishops in Zadar, October 12, 2004 a resolution establishing a Catholic university in Zagreb was adopted, and the Archdiocese of Zagreb was entrusted with the mission of effectuating this initiative, under the patronage of The Croatian Conference of Catholic Bishops.
- E. Cardinal Josip Bozanić, Archbishop of Zagreb founded a Commission for establishing the Catholic university in Zagreb on January 6, 2005 with a task to design and prepare the establishment of Catholic University in Zagreb, and on January 7 of the same year, he appointed five Commission members. The Commission completed its assignment on June 3, 2006 when the Archbishop of Zagreb established The Catholic University of Croatia by the Decree on the Establishment and Instruction on the Establishment of Catholic University of Croatia No. 1273-2/2006 (further in the text: Instruction on the Establishment), and the Commission for founding the Catholic University in Zagreb became the Commission of The Catholic University of Croatia which was given the task to prepare the studies for the beginning of University’s operation.
- The Catholic University of Croatia was founded by the Decree on the Establishment on June 3, 2006 and Ivan Šaško, PhD, Full Professor, a professor at the Catholic Faculty of Theology, University of Zagreb, is appointed to the position of Acting Rector.
- In 2008 University received accreditation for conducting studies of psychology, history and sociology from the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports, with the condition of uniform employment during five years.
- Classes in the undergraduate university study program of history started in the 2010/2011 academic year.
- In September 2011 changes in the University management occurred. The founder appointed Željko Tanjić, PhD, Full Professor, as the new Acting Rector, in place of msgr. Ivan Šaško, PhD, who in the meantime became an auxiliary bishop of Zagreb.
- In 2011, the procedure for receiving accreditation for conducting the study of nursing was initiated. The approval for holding the study program is currently underway, and the program needs to be adjusted to the new amendments of law.
- Classes in the undergraduate university studies of psychology and sociology started in the 2012/2013 academic year.
- Classes in the graduate university study of history started in the 2013/2014 academic year.
- The Ministry of science, education and sports issued full accreditations for conducting studies to the University in March 2013.
- In 2014 the Catholic University of Croatia saw its first graduates from the Department of History conferred with Bachelor’s degrees.
- In 2014 the study of communication sciences was initiated.
- In July 2014 The University received accreditation to conduct research activities in the field of humanities and social sciences.
- Classes in the undergraduate university studies of communication sciences will start in the 2015/2016 academic year.
News & Events
- 22. 02. 2019.Obilježavanje 12. tjedna psihologije u Virovitici
- 21. 02. 2019.HKS u Tjednu psihologije: studenti i nastavnici zajedno
- 19. 02. 2019.Rektor Katoličkoga sveučilišta „Pázmány Péter“ iz Budimpešte u posjetu HKS-u
- 19. 02. 2019.O aktualnoj temi u školstvu